Solar Hot Water
In one second the sun releases more energy than has been used by mankind since the beginning of recorded history.
- Solar can be used to heat domestic hot water, radiant in floor heat, forced air heat, and swimming pools
- Solar Radiation converts into thermal energy
Water Saving Plumbing Fixtures
- One of the most economically friendly ways of being green
- Great for the environment
- Can save thousands of gallons of water per year, without sacrificing any quality
- Municipality rebates available in some areas
Tankless Water Heaters
- Can reduce energy consumption by 40%
- Outstanding 98% efficiency
- Takes up to 70% less space than what is required by a standard tank style water heater
- If you’re not using hot water, your tankless water heater is not wasting energy by heating unnecessary water
- When using a tankless water heater under normal conditions, you will never run out of hot water
- Digital thermostat allows you to set the water temperature to your personal comfort level
All tips quoted by Elizabeth Rogers and Thomas M. Kostigen, co-authors of The Green Book.
Try to use your sprinklers in early morning or evening. The average lawn needs only about one hour of watering per week. In Summer, outdoor water usage accounts for 40% of household water bills. The irrigation of U.S. lawns and landscapes claims an estimated 7.9 billion gallons of water per day — a volume that would fill fourteen billion 6-packs of beer.
Existing Lawn Irrigation
Consider installing a rain sensor to override your automatic sprinkler cycle during and after rain events. Depending on the local climate, your water consumption (and your water bill) could drop up to 30% per year.
Fit your garden hose with an automatic shut off nozzle in order to prevent waste when the water is turned on and the hose is being used. You’ll save up to 6.5 gallons per minute. If just 10 percent of the U.S. households attached shut off nozzles to their hoses and the average reduction in hose usage was just 30 seconds per week, the water saved would fill over 128,000 bathtubs every day.
"I never had a chance to thank all of you and your team for the efforts you put in at 640 West. From my perspective it was a pleasure working with you guys and I appreciated your initiative..."
Read full testimonial ›
Engberg Anderson (Architect)